Friday, February 15, 2013

Cows in the city

Escape from the valley

Or perhaps I should say, “Cows in The City,” as San Francisco is wont to style itself.

In a few hours I will be participating in my first book event to occur outside the boundaries of California's great Central Valley. My novel will be presented to curious urbanites, no doubt eager to learn about the arcane details of Portuguese immigrant life on a family dairy farm. The subject matter is redolent with a sense of thrills, excitement, and drama. Irresistible!

If you're in the Bay Area this evening, consider dropping in at Books Inc. in San Francisco's Opera Plaza on Van Ness. The event officially starts at 7:00, but I'll be loitering in the area beforehand. (Loitering in bookstores is something I'm good at.)



8 comments:

Gene O'Pedia said...

Whoa, what an obvious piece of self-promotion! Why not just go ahead and tell us where and when you'll be hawking your book?

Oh, right, sorry. Then I'll wish you good luck, although we know you don't rely much on that. Have fun, too, bringing your literary oeuvre to the big city.

Zeno said...

Shameless self-promotion knows no bounds. It was pretty excellent when the Consul General of Portugal showed up. He invited me to a fall event at the consulate in SF. Nice!

evlunclbud said...

Had I been there, I'd have danced the fado until the cows come home

Zeno said...

Appreciate the heck out of it, evlunclbud! Muito obrigado!

Kathie said...

Ahem, isn't it about time for us to hear about your follow-up book? Ya can't rest on your LMM laurels forever, ya know!

Disturbingly Openminded said...

Zeno ~ I finished your book a couple of days ago. It is marvelous! The characters were interesting. The time-shifting was fascinating.

Here's a question: Was your sister right? (RE her blurb on the back cover)

Also, you might be interested (given your apparently latent fondness for farms) in reading Jane Smiley's "A Thousand Acres".

Zeno said...

Thanks for the compliments, DO. I really appreciate it.

As it so happens, my sister's fears were exaggerated. I did get one "non-fan" letter, but no feuds have erupted. Of course, my nephew said that anyone likely to take offense at being accurately depicted is either dead, senile, or illiterate (or some combination of the three).

I have read A Thousand Acres (which I enjoyed, but not as much as Moo) and even tried to get Jane Smiley to give me a book blurb. No luck!

Thanks again for saying nice things about my book!

Kit said...

Ooh, I have a book too!

Diseased Imaginings

It's a set of humorous short stories. The Bride of Frankenstein goes on Dancing with the Stars, Bella Swan (from Twilight) dates mummies and that double jawed monster from Aliens, cat barf saves the wedding. That kinda stuff.

Ima go check out your book now.